Sunday, August 26, 2012

Young Goodman Brown Answers

1. I think that Hawthorne's purpose for writing this story is to show us that are dreams affect are lives in big ways. I am saying this because Goodman Brown took his dream seriously and had nothing written on his tombstone.
2. After reading the story I do agree that Brown's wife was aptly named Faith. No, Faith's name does not fit her peronality because she was unsure in which side to follow. No, brown does not have true faith in her because Faith was not sure if she should follow God or the devil.
3. I think that the pink ribbons signify peace or happiness because those are the only things in the story that represent goodness.


4. Everything that Brown witnessed was a dream because he was in fact dreaming.(It was a dream of an evil omen for Young Goodman Brown.)
5. I think that the old man represents the devil. Textual evidence is "But the only thing about him that could be fixed upon as remarkable was his staff, which bore the likeness of a great black snake." This supports why I think the old man is the devil because a snake is known as the devil.
6. I think that the staff represents the snake because that is how it is represented in the Bible. I think that Brown's conscience/ mind led him onward because he wasn't sure of what was going on. Especially after he woke up from the dream.
7. If Brown would not have gone into the forest his life would be different because he would not have experieced what he did in the forest. Yes, if Brown would have stayed home he would still have faith because he would not have second guessed his wife's faith in God. Yes, I think that he would still trust his wife and follow his townspeople because he would not question his faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment