Monday, December 10, 2012

LAQ #3

The Hunger Games Mocking Jay by Suzanne Collins

General
1. In the beginning Katniss is back at her home because she could not believe that District 12 is destroyed. After that she returns to District 13 to discuss what is to be done to take down the Capiol. While in the meeting they see a speech from Peeta from the Capitol and he says that they can't win and shouldn't even fight. Outraged District 13 decides to kill him but Katniss manages to change there minds. She then decides to be the Mocking Jay for District 13 and Coin lets her go to District 8 to go and give the people hope. When she is leaving a bomber from the Capitol comes and almost kills her. She was then put on watch and she found out that a search team was going to get Peeta. When they came back Peeta began to choke Katniss and Beeta nocked him out. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with Peeta and they discovered that the Capitol brainwashed him to hurt Katniss. Katniss and Gale along with the team went to go to attack the Capitol and lost one of there soldiers. Coin sent Peeta who was better but they removed his weapon and had him under watch. After there was another attack and president Snow thought that he had killed them but he didn't. The rest of them waited and then began to run when they saw mysterious creatures killing everyone looking fro them. Gale, Katniss, Peeta, and two others managed to get out and they were able to stay with one of the other victors. The next day they were looking fro snow and paratuetes fell from the sky killing everyone especially Prim, who is Katniss's Sister. After that, the Capitol was defeated and Katniss killed Snow in front of everybody to end the war. After that she had to choose between having Gale or Peeta in her life and she chose Peeta.
2. The theme in the book is that people can rally against a force much stronger and bigger than them and that there is always hope and a better place to be. 
3. The author's tone in the book is that she wants the readers to feel hopeful. One example is when Peeta see's Katniss and he chokes her. This makes us want them to get back together because of there love in the past. Another example is when she is training to fight. You can tell that she wants it badly and we are hoping that she can pull it off and kill Snow. The last example is that she must choose between Gale or Peeta. We are hoping that she chooses Gale because she does like him but we are also hoping she chooses Peeta because of what they have gone through.
4.
1.) Indirect Characterization helped me understand the story more because it helped me understand how strong District 13 really is. "Given that at least a dozen invisible hovercrafts are circling overhead for my protection." (Collins 3)
2.)Indirect Characterization again helped me understand the story more when they said they should have rescued the boy first. It shows me that they don't have faith in Katniss. "I told you we should have rescued the boy first." (Collins 11)
3.)Allusion aslo helped me understand it more because when Katniss saw the rose in her house it lets me know that they have unfinished business and that there is more to come. "He left me a rose. I want to scream." (Collins 15)
4.)Direct Characterization helped me understand the story more because it showed me how much Katniss wanted to fight. "Katniss went through all of the training and completed it which no one thought she could do." (Collins 235)
5.)Setting also helps me understand the story more because it shows me how purtected the people in District 13 are. "Certain areas of the wall are stone, while steel beams and concrete heavily reinforce others. (Collins 140)
6.)The symbolism also helped me understand the story more because it showed me what Katniis really represents. She represents hope in the people and that she is the one that will end all of there suffering. "Ok, I will be your Mocking Jay." (Collins 56)
7.)Another allusion is when Plutarich has people on the inside. It shows that they can use them to their advantage in taking out the Capitol by using them fro information. "He has people on the inside." (Collins 164)
8.)The Indirect Characterization in President Coins speech is basically saying that if Katniss does not pull trhough she is dead and so is everyone that followers her. "In other words, I step out of line and we're all dead." (Collins 58)
9.)The Theme also helped me understand the story more because the theme is that a weaker force can destroy a stronger force. "The Capitol fell and Coin leads Panem now." (Collins 351)
10.)When Katniss Votes to have a Hunger Games for those in the formal Capital I am shocked because that is why they were fighting. It seems that they have done it just to get revenge... "I vote yes, for Prim." (Collins 370)

Characterization
1.One of Direct Characterization is when Katniss receives another bow. This shows me that she is still using the bow for her best advantage. Another example is when she says she will kill Snow. This shows me that she wants revenge for what has happened. Indirect characterization is when Katniss walks into the hospital. It shows me that she is shocked in what she see's. Another example of Indirect Characterization is when she see's Peeta talking. She just stays quiet. This shows me that she is speechless and wants him back because she does not know what to say.
2.Yes, the author's syntax and diction change when focused on another character because when Katniss is talking Collins makes her seem inspirational and when Coin is talking she makes him seem very serious. 
3.The Protagonist is Katniss and she is static because he purpose throughout the story is to kill Snow. She is a round character because I can tell what she looks like and wants to happen while I am reading.
4.After reading the story I felt that I can relate to Katniss because she has courage and a lot of strength mentally.

1 comment:

  1. I have finished my part, but I need an Email address. Send me an email @ trisportalbright@gmail.com. Then I'll send you the stuff.

    ReplyDelete