Thursday, October 4, 2012

LAQ #1

 General

1.)The plot of The Hunger Games is that Katniss Everdeen has volunteered to be a contestant for the hunger games because her younger sister Prim was chosen. Throughout the Games she is doing all that she can to survive with the help of Peeta who is the boy from her district. When all seems lost she pulls herself together and becomes the winner of the Hunger Games with Peeta. Katniss also does not know what she will do ounce she gets back and she is concerned that she has fallen in love with Peeta when she only pretended to in order to make people like her. The narrator fulfills the author's purpose of the story because she explains everything well and makes sure that the ideas of the main characters are heard from there thoughts and their actions.

2. )The theme of The Hunger Games is that Katniss Everdeen has volunteered to fight because her younger sister was chosen. She does not think she will survive but she works with Peeta who is in her district and the two of them get the job done to survive.

3.)The author's tone of the story is that she wants to make the audience feel curious of what will happen next. I support this because in the book the author Suzanne Collins has Katniss go through several chances of being killed and she somehow survives when she has lost hope. Collins also wants to show that the characters hate each other and this is done because the characters are trying to kill each other every minute they are in the games.The tone of the book is also about love because she uses that to show how strong Katniss and Peeta are in the story.

4.)1. In the book there is a lot of direct characterization and this helped me understand that the characters wanted to hurt one another because it shows that they were trying to kill each other. (Over a period of several weeks, the competitors must fight to the death.) Page 18
2. The indirect characterization also helped me understand the story because it shows me what Katniss is thinking about the Hunger Games. (It's not really fair to present us as a team then lock us into an arena to kill each other.)Page 71 This shows me that Katniss thinks the Hunger Games is pointless because they just have to kill each other.
3.Signs are another literary element that was being used and one sign is when the games start and Katniss begins to take in her surroundings. (The woods begin to evolve, and the pines are intermixed with a variety of trees, some I recognized, some completely foreign to me.) Page 152 This literary element helps me understand the story more because it shows Katniss is paying attention to the environment that she is in.
4.Another literary term that I thought helped me understand the story more was theme.(Under the new rule, both tributes from the same district will be declared winners if they are the last to alive.)Page 244 This helped me understand the story a little more because it shows that they are trying to make it seem like Katniss and Peeta are lovers and will try to do anything to make sure that they keep each other safe.
5. Symbolism is another literary term that helped me understand the story more because it shows how Katniss represents something higher of herself. (Katniss, the girl who was on fire.) Page 67 This quote helped me understand the story more because the author wants to make Katniss seem like she is higher and better than all of the other people.
6.Conflict is another literary term that helped me understand the story more because it showed me how alone Katniss is during the story. (So they're fighting in a pack.) Page 159 This helped me understand the story more because it showed me that Katnis is alone and must fight her way out in order to survive.
7. Setting also helped me understand the story more because it showed me that Katniss would have the advantage over the competitors. (The woods begin to evolve, and the pines are intermixed with a variety of trees, some I recognized, some completely foreign to me.) Page 152 Katniss has spent most of her life hunting in the woods and this gives her a big advantage because she knows how to read a forest and how to hide in them.
8.Another literary term that helped me understand the story more is foreshadowing. (She's about as safe as you can get, since she's only entered once.) Page 15 Once I read this part I could not help but think that Katniss's little sister would be picked because it seems unlikely to happen since it is her first time.
9. The mood is another literary term that helped me understand the story more because the mood of the story was melancholy. (And its not me. Its Primrose Everdeen.) Page 20 This helped me understand the story because it showed that Katniss's little sister was called and its sad because it was also her first year being able to get picked.
10. Meaning is also another literary term that helped me understand the story because it helped me put things together and figure them out on my own. My example for meaning would have to be the whole book because throughout the book I was able to pick things and be like hey you could do it this way of you wanted to.

Characterization

1. One example of direct characterization is when Katniss is using the bow and arrow. This shows me that she has been using it her whole life which will give her an advantage when she is fighting. Another example of direct characterization is when Peeta is training for the fights. This shows me that Peeta is not very skilled in anything. An example of indirect characterization is when Katnis is thinking about Peeta and questioning when he acts nice to her. This shows me that she does not trust Peeta and that he is only being nice to kill her. Another example of indirect characterization is when Peeta is deciding to train alone. This shows that he does not feel confident and he thinks he is going to lose. The author uses both approaches so that way the reader can know what the characters are dong from their thoughts and actions. My last impression on Katniss was that she is forgiving for letting Peeta help her again. My last impression on Peeta was that he is a smart kid. He is a smart kid because he new exactly how to act with the other contestants.

2. Yes, the author's syntax and diction change when she focus's on a character because it shows what mood she is trying to create for that character. An example is when Katniss training, the author uses a different diction to help explain that she is good with the bow. Another example is when she talks about all of the other characters from higher districts. She makes them seem like they are vicious from the words that are used and it explain how they are trained.

3.The protagonist in the story is Katniss and she is dynamic because in the beginning she is scared and alone and towards the end she is not afraid and has Peeta to help her. She is also a round character because as I was reader I could picture how she looked really well from her actions and thoughts.

4. Yes, after reading a book I came away feeling like I new Katniss because I could picture her as one of my friends because she taunts the other people. (Now I smile, "How's everything with you." I call down cheerfully. This takes them aback, but I know the crowd will love it.)Page 181 This is also why I feel like I know her because she doesn't care if she is found which shows that she has no fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment